Tuesday, August 14, 2007

MY WEEKS : 31 & 32 ( W/E 5TH & 12TH AUGUST)

Hello everyone and welcome to my latest update from my allotments.

Well after a lovely couple of weeks at our farm retreat in North Wales it was time to get back to the plots at the weekend to see what had happened while I was away. Despite it being very warm and dry whilst I was away the weeds have sprouted all over the place, I don't know where they get the moisture from and it looks like that will be one of my main tasks in the week to come. I was pleased to find out that I had been awarded a Silver Certificate once again in our local Council Allotments Competition which considering my late start this year made it all the more satisfying. It was also nice to have a good old banter with my friend and neighbouring plot holder Brian about this and that.





My Runner Beans had just started to crop before I went away and upon my return I was amazed to find such a heavy yield, we picked over 40lb off the double row and they are really tender. My crop of French Beans was very good as well with over 12lb of these so a busy few days ahead preparing them all and freezing them for use throughout the year.





The Florence Fennel is definitely ready for harvesting in fact some of them have started to show signs of going to seed but I think that they will still be ok for cooking. All of my Onions both the Cooking, Roscoff Rose, Banana Shallots and Pickling Shallots are ready for lifting and drying now, this is done by placing in a dry and airy place ideally in trays or wire baskets so that plenty of air can get around them this way they will store for longer.





In the Brassica cage despite the carpet of weeds that has emerged the plants themselves are doing nicely, with a good hand weed and a feed they will continue to progress well. Some of the Summer Cabbages have started to split due to the lack of water over the last couple of weeks or so and because they will only stand for so long once they have reached maturity. The Peas are showing signs of yellowing of their leaves now which is a sign that the plants have done their job of producing loads of lovely seeds(Peas) but what a wonderful harvest I have had this year with no signs of the Pea Moth having attacked them or the dreaded Pigeons.





The Lettuce continues to thrive and looks quite colourful but as you can see I've got enough to feed a whole Rabbit Warren. The Sweetcorn plants are nearly ready for harvesting their ears of Corn, as you can see from the top-right picture they have started to turn yellow but not quite all the way to their tips so I will wait a few more days before picking them.











Both of my beds of Dhalias are looking absolutely stunning at the moment with their profusion of blooms relishing the wet conditions that we have all experienced this season, they are getting so large now I will have to be quite ruthless in the Autumn and divide them as some of their tubers must measure 2ft across now, I'm sure I will have a few takers when the time comes to part with some of them.



Well that is it for now, I will be back as usual next weekend with an update of my progress with the weeding and harvesting weather permitting during the rest of the week and any other news. I have included a slideshow of a few of the sights from my holiday for you to enjoy, thanks Steve.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home