Sunday, May 20, 2007

MY WEEK : 20 ( W/E 20TH MAY )

Welcome to this week's update from my allotments. It has been an unsettled week weather wise with quite a bit of rainfall at the beginning of the week which reduced how much I could get done on my plots, however with drier conditions later in the week things improved. On walking around our allotment site it looks as though the Potato crops are going to be very good this year with many of my fellow plot holders commenting on how pleased they are with the growth and healthy appearance of the foliage, because I planted my tubers later than I would have done mine are just breaking through as you can see in this photograph but will hopefully still give me a decent crop.






This week I decided to plant out my Runner Bean plants although this is slightly earlier than I would normally do, usually I would wait until the first week in June when all danger of frost has passed but due to the exceptionally mild Spring we have experienced and the fact that I am going on holiday to Normandy in France for a week on this coming Tuesday I have gone ahead with their planting. Last week I mentioned that my Garlic crop was maturing and the top-right picture hopefully shows what I mean about the leaves turning brown, when I return from France I will harvest them.








The French Beans that I sowed into cell trays have germinated well and are ready for planting out but due to running out of time before going on holiday I will have to leave them until next week, my neighbouring plot holder Brian is kindly going to water my plants in my cold frames while I'm away, the picture top-right shows how my Sweet Peas are progressing with them already about 12" tall and using their tendrils to climb up the netting.







My Son Daniel is putting me to shame a bit at the moment with regards the Apple trees that he helped me plant last Spring, the tree that he planted himself has the most Apples on and needless to say he is rubbing it in a bit, but I pull his leg a bit by telling him it is all in the soil preparation and aftercare as I dare not neglect his crops or else!!








Well I was amazed to find this week that the first of the Strawberries were ripening way ahead of last years crop and they are not under cover, this is an obvious sign of the weather we have experienced this Spring compared to last years which was much colder and wetter. The Chives that I sowed from seed last year have really thickened up into a lovely clump this year as you can see in the top-right picture with it just preparing itself to burst into flower.







The Peas that I sowed in the Brassica cage to protect them from the dreaded Pigeons are growing nicely they really seem to get going when they get a good drop of rain, I'm hoping that the netting will also offer them protection from the Pea Moth so that I don't get maggoty Peas. The top-right picture is of Daniel's little plot on which he has Broad Beans, Shallots, Onions, Potatoes & Rhubarb growing so far, the remaining bed on his plot is for him to grow his Pumpkins on in readiness for Halloween later in the year.






The Sweetcorn that I sowed into cell trays in my greenhouse back at home have germinated well and I have now moved these into my cold frames until I return from my holiday when they will then be planted out at the allotments, the seed for these I managed to save myself from one of last years cobs which will be much cheaper than buying the seed. Last week I took my Spray Chrysanthemum cuttings and as you can see in the top-right picture they have already started to root and once again I'm sure that they will be ready to pot on next week on my return.






Although this Rose is in my garden at home rather than the allotments I wanted to share these pictures of it with you all as it is absolutely stunning and I wish that I could share it's scent with you as in the early evening it fills our patio, if you left click with your mouse on any of the pictures they will be shown in full size format which does them more justice.



Finally for this week I would just like to remind you that the next update will be in 2 weeks time as I am away next weekend in France, I would also like your feedback if you don't mind on my recent changes to the appearance of my website's opening page the side graphics and also the header graphics if you don't mind as I'm not sure if they take too long to load for other people or if they detract from or spoil your enjoyment of visiting my website. Thank you to all of you who do visit, I'm not as organised as I would like to be yet after leaving the kitchen garden project but I hope you will bear with me whilst I catch up on everything, thanks once again and see you in a fortnight regards Steve.